Not all people with diabetes are affected equally — Reversing T2D reaffirms our commitment to help the underserved population. In light of recent events, we created this resource to:
1. Amplify the voices of Black people in the field of health. Black people make up less than 5% of all physicians and less than 3% of dietitians in the U.S.
2. Support people and organizations that are working to enact systematic change to improve the healthcare for people of color in this country.
3. Provide additional resources for people of color disproportionally affected by diabetes and food insecurity.
4. Highlight resources showcasing the health disparities in the United States.
- Wendy & Jess, RDs, CDEs – Inclusive & Accessible Wellness. Diabetes Educators. Hosts of the Food Heaven Podcast.
- Marisa Moore, MBA. RDN. – Recipe Developer + Writer; Sharing Easy, Healthy Recipes
- Kim Rose, RDN, CDCES, CNSC, LD – Diabetes Educator; Podcast Co-host: Nutrition Lifestyles with Kim & Johane
- Bridget Wood, RD, LD – Diabetes care and education specialist, #T1D
- Deanna Belleny Lewis MPH, RDN – Co-Founder of Diversify Dietetics
- Esther Tambe, MS, RD, CDN, CDE – Helping women of color who struggle with body image unlearn negative associations with food & body.
- Chesney Blue, MPH, RDN – Your Neighborhood Nutritionist focused on #blackwomenshealth
- Teresa Turner MS, RD, LDN – Contributes to healthier ideals, inspires diversity, inclusion, & equity.
- Valerie Agyeman, RD – Women’s health dietitian, sharing tips for WOC to flourish in wellness.
- Shana Minei Spence, MS, RDN, CDN – Anti-diet dietitian | #HAES
- Christyna, MS, RDN, LDN – Anti-Diet Registered Dietitian, Weight Inclusive.
- Alexis Newman RD – Helps women overcome emotional, mental, & time barriers.
- Veronica Garnett, MS, RD – Focused on food freedom & body liberation.
- Jessica Wilson, MS, RD, – Consultant. Activist. Centers the experiences of those most marginalized in conversations about food and bodies.
- Rhyan Geiger, RD – For vegans who want to drop pounds; stress-free vegan eating.
- Kelsey Llyod, MS, RD, LDN – Registered dietitian, keeping nutrition real.
- Jasmin Foster, RD – Food photographer, sharing healthy and balanced recipes, tips, and inspiration.
- Rosie Mensah, RD – Helps ambitious women build a healthy and enjoyable relationship with food; Anti-Poverty Advocate.
- Aja Gyimah, MHSc, RD – Helps people achieve their goals with food; former athlete.
- Jennifer Garibaldi, RD – Focused on women tired of dieting, overeating, and emotional eating.
- Sue-Ellen, MS, RDN, CDCES, CPT – Supporting Girls + Women Through the Complete Life Cycle.
- Andrea, MA, RDN, LDN – Easy, healthy recipes & fabulous lifestyle hacks with a Southern flair.
- Krystal George, RD2Be – Passionate about nutrition and mental health.
MDs & Nurses
- Dr. Sondema Tarr, DPM – Podiatric Medicine & Surgery Resident. Plant-Powered.
- Dr. Qadira Ali Huff, MD, MPH – Plant-Based Doctor Mom; Pediatrics & Lifestyle Medicine
- Dr. Judy Brangman – Internal Medicine & Lifestyle Medicine. Teaching plant-based nutrition.
- Dr. Ed McDonald – A nutrition-friendly doctor (MD). Gastroenterology, obesity, internal medicine, plant-based
- Dr. Marsha-Gail Davis, MD – Plant-based doc, prevention, primary care internist.
- Dr. Tinka Barnes, MD – Board Certified Family Medicine M.D. Health and Wellness. YouTube @TheeVeganDoc.
- Dr. Jennifer Davis, MD – Plant powered ultrarunner. Pediatrician. Lifestyle Medicine Specialist.
- Brooklynne. Medical Student – Bringing together: WOC, medicine, mindfulness, plant-based nutrition.
- Nurse Julia – Certified Nurse Practitioner; Health Promo
- SheyMc, RN – Registered Nurse empowering women to overcome type 2 diabetes.
Others in the field of health & nutrition
- Carlie St. Laurent Beaucejour – nutritionist helping black professionals be healthy, lose weight, and have fun with food.
- Kimberly Wilson – Chartered Psychologist, MSc Nutrition.
- Peggy Exumé – Empowering mental wellness & a healthy lifestyle. Student, MS clinical mental health
- Chrissy King – fitness coach empowering women to embrace their bodies and live with compassion.
- Alishia McCullough – Licensed Mental Health Therapist; Social Justice Warrior.
- Dani, MSCN – Functional Nutritionist
Food, Nutrition, Diabetes Organizations
- NACCP – Committed to eliminating the racial and ethnic inequities that exist within our health care system. Focused on the right of African Americans and other people of color to have optimal health outcomes and access to timely, quality, affordable health care.
- Diversify Dietetics – Increases the racial and ethnic diversity in the field of nutrition by empowering nutrition leaders of color.
- NOBIDAN – The National Organization of Blacks in Dietetics and Nutrition; a member interest group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Reclaiming Our Plate – A collective of Black Dietitians empowering their community, centering their stories & creating a world where they are free to be, eat & live in.
- DiaTribe – Provides free cutting-edge diabetes insights and actionable tips for people with diabetes.
- Diabetes Sisters – Offers a range of education and support services to help women of all ages with all types of diabetes live healthier, fuller lives.
- Beyond Type 2 – A place for everyone impacted by Type 2 diabetes to share their stories, get connected to the community, and find resources on topics from daily management to mental health.
- Needy Meds – Connects people to programs that will help them afford their medications and other healthcare costs.
- Financial Help for Diabetes Care – private or government health insurance, local programs, patient support groups, and medicine-assistance programs that provide financial help for diabetes care.
- Insulin Help – Assistance and resources to help pay for insulin.
- Food Assistance Programs – information on food assistance programs that are available to certain individuals and groups including SNAP, WIC, the National School Lunch Program, and more.
- Hunger Relief Organizations – information and resources specifically on hunger and food security, including links to governmental and non-government organizations.
Other Health Organizations
- 100 Black Men of America, Inc.
- African American Health Coalition, Inc
- Association of Black Women Physicians
- Association of Black Psychologists
- Association of Clinicians for the Underserved
- Black Women’s Health Imperative
- Center for African American Health
- Center for Black Women’s Wellness
- Cross-Cultural Health Care Program
- Journey to Wellness
- National Black Nurses Association
- National Coalition of 100 Black Women, Inc.
- North Star Health Collective
- Society of Black Academic Surgeons
- Society for the Analysis of African American Public Health Issues
Resources highlighting health disparities in the U.S.
- IGTV: Two physicians engage in a conversation about health disparities and racism. Watch here.
- Podcast: The Health Disparities
- Book: Inequality and African American Health: How Racial Disparities Create Sickness by Shirley Hill
- Book: Just Medicine: A Cure for Racial Inequality in American Health Care by Dayna Bowen Matthew
- Book: Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired: Black Women’s Health Activism in America, 1890-1950 by Susan L. Smith
- Book: Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present by Harriet A. Washington
- Book: Health Disparities in the United States: Social Class, Race, Ethnicity, and Health second edition by Donald A. Barr
To add to this list, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.